Thursday, March 19, 2009

New Mommy / Mother’s Day – Custom Birthstone Necklace

Joshua Charles Hunsaker






This idea, for a Mother’s Birthstone Necklace, came to me right after my niece had her first long-awaited child. He is a week old today. As I was constructing the necklace as a little keepsake for my niece, I realized that it would be a lovely gift for any mother – new or old - especially with Mother’s Day coming up soon. As soon as I completed the necklace for my new-mommy niece, I decided that I should make another version for my dear sister representing her children as well.


These photos are merely an example of what the necklace styles look like when completed. Obviously, each necklace will be a custom design based on the chain (link chain or beaded chain), types of birth stones (see chart below), number of stones and type of metal (sterling silver or 24K gold vermeil). I am more than happy to lay this out and photograph so you can see what your design will look like before beginning the actual construction. The stones listed below are the standard birthstones but, certainly substitutions for some of the more precious stones (diamonds, sapphires, emeralds, etc.) can be made at your discretion.

Pricing Examples From The Photo Featuring Both Necklaces:
Top necklace with moonstone beaded chain and 5 birthstones (Mother, Father and 3 Children) – consists of 3 September (kyanite substituted for sapphires), one December (sky blue topaz) and one April (ruby). As shown - $97
Bottom necklace with link chain (sterling silver) and 3 birthstones (Mother, Father and 1 Child) – consists of one August (peridot), one May (emerald) and one March (aquamarine). As shown - $74

Please email me with your design questions – I would love to work with you on a special gift for either a Mother’s Day surprise or a New Mommy gift.

Birth Month - Modern Birthstones - Stone Substitutes
January - Garnet
February - Amethyst
March - Aquamarine
April - Diamond - Rock Crystal (Substitute)
May - Emerald - Green Onyx (Substitute)
June - Pearl or Moonstone
July - Ruby
August - Peridot
September - Sapphire - Kyanite (Substitute)
October - Opal or Tourmaline
November - Citrine or Yellow Topaz
December - Blue Topaz or Turquoise






0 comments: